Reflexiones de Residencia

Claude Jones


FUNDACION GRUBER JEZ, ARTIST RESIDENCY, 22.10.12 – 15.12.12

I had a very enjoyable and productive 2 months at the Fundacion Gruber Jez residency in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. The Fundacion is the dream-child of resident master sculptor, Gerda Gruber who has had many years experience working in a vast range of materials, teaching art and exhibiting internationally. Gerda taught me so much! - resin casting, silicone mould making, polyurethane mould making, porcelain slip casting and even working with henequen – the string like fibres of a Mexican cactus plant that form an incredibly strong bond when mixed with wood glue. Some materials were supplied and naturally some needed to be purchased. When a shopping expedition was required, Mari Carmen, the residency administrator, was always happy to help out with her time and drive us to the necessary supplier!

Whilst learning new sculpture skills, I produced lots of little kangaroo and rabbit heads in various materials, lots of small ceramic legs, some porcelain sculptures, some henequen ‘birdcages’ and lots of drawings and notes for works for future projects. Importantly I completed the residency with a much clearer understanding of which materials to use for the creation of my large installation project to be exhibited in Australia later this year.

Over the 2 month period in Mexico, I visited 3 of the important Mayan Archaeological sites – 2 in Yucatan and one in Quintana Roo and was inspired by the elegance of the simple yet strong architectural forms as well as the interesting ant nests, bee hives and strange tree formations I encountered in the jungle settings. I was also impressed by the baskets and lampshades found in Quintana Roo. I believe these organic forms are influencing the development of my henequen “cages”.  I was lucky enough to be in Merida for the day of the dead and to visit several local cemeteries to see the brilliantly coloured and decorated graves which are more like little houses, that en masse create the impression of little towns built for the dead. I also saw some wonderful ceramic sculpture and ceramic painting and plenty of traditional and contemporary artworks in the shops and galleries. In addition to all this, I had an opportunity to give a couple of presentations to some Montessori school children in Merida that were very interested to hear about my home country, New Zealand!

I love Mexico. My residency was in winter but it was often 31 -34 degrees! The sky and sunsets were always so beautiful, the other Mexican artists I met were warm, funny, hard working and generous people, and there is an abundance of colours in the buildings, in the clothing, in the markets and in the cemeteries! The fruit in Merida was especially tasty– the avocados, melons, lemons, limes, grapefruit, and chillies of many shapes, colours and sizes.  I was sad to leave especially as I have some wonderful new friends in Mexico now, but I hope to return to Merida and La Fundacion Gruber Jez in the not too distant future.